What is it?
International Call Forwarding Fraud is a scam whereby a fraudster, upon stealing your SIM card, diverts / forwards your cell phone number to an international switchboard. The switchboard is able to route international calls to any global destination from your SIM card. This scam can be done on both voice and Data SIM cards that have International roaming /calling activated on them. A victim of this scam will notice that it has not received calls for a period of time and high volumes of international calls have been made on their account.
How does this affect me?
- If you have International roaming and calling activated on your account, you may be affected.
- Ensure your phone and SIM card is kept safe and if stolen, call 0861 412 412 immediately to hard lock them.
- You could receive extremely high bills due to the large number of international calls made from your account, the costs of which you are liable for.
- Due to all your calls being forwarded to an international switchboard, the calls you would normally have received would also be diverted to the international numbers.
STEPS TO AVOID BEING A VICTIM OF INTERNATIONAL CALL FORWARDING FRAUD:
- If your SIM card is stolen, damaged or lost, you must IMMEDIATELY contact 0861 412 412 in order to arrange that your SIM card is hard locked on Nashua Mobile’s system.
- Deactivate International Calling and Roaming on your phone when you are not travelling. Should you wish to deactivate it now, click here to complete the online form.
- Remove any call forwarding activated on your phone - dial #002# and then dial.
- Activate your SIM card PIN on your cell phone under security settings. Ensure that your phone is locked when not in use, because if the phone is stolen while it is unlocked, the SIM card PIN will serve no purpose.
- Always ensure to check your monthly billing and activities on your account and let us know immediately should you pick up any strange billing or charges.
- When you have requested your new SIM card to be activated please ensure that you International roaming/ calling is deactivated at the same time.
- To deactivate your International roaming service, complete this short online form or call 0861 412 412.
- To block a lost / stolen SIM card or phone, call us on 0861 412 412.